Baking with children is one of the most fun, and rewarded activities. We try to bake for every holiday. This is what we came up with for Saint Patrick’s Day, Shamrock Soft Pretzels! The boys loved to help me mix the dough, knead it, and try to form the shamrocks. It is so fun to watch them in the kitchen.
1 1/2 cup warm water
4 cups flour
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
2 tsp salt
3 tbsp melted butter
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water
- Mix 1 1/2 cup warm water, 1/2 tsp of sugar, and 1 tbsp active dry yeast to a bowl. Sit for 5 minutes.
- Mix flour, salt and 1 tbsp sugar in a bowl.
- Pour yeast mixture and butter into the dry mixture.
- Mix by hand or with a stand mixer and bread hook until smooth. If sticky, add more flour.
- Knead until you can roll it into a ball. Return to bowl, cover and let rise for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Flour the counter. Roll pieces into ball, then into sticks and form the shamrock shapes.
- Beat egg and 1 tbsp water into an egg wash. Apply with brush to the pretzels.
- Sprinkle with course salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool and enjoy!