My twins were gifted with a Wild Kids Dream Couch for Christmas, so I went to work and made them this letter felt set of their favorite book, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom! The felt letters stick fairly well to the couch. We do not own a Nugget, but I have heard that the double brushed fabric does not stick to felt. The boys love playing with the couch like a giant felt board!
How to Make Felt Letters
- Find a font that you like with big blocky letters. You can find the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom font with a quick google search. Make the image as large as you would like your letters to be. This may take some experimentation. Print in black and white to save on ink.
- Cut out all of the letters individually with paper scissors. Don’t use the same scissors as you use for your fabric! You will dull them, and you need your fabric scissors to be sharp to cut through the felt cleanly.
- Now either pin the cut out paper letters to the fabric, or hold them down with your thumb as you cut the felt, using the paper letters as your template.
- Now it’s time to make your tree! You can print out a template for this as well, but I just eyeballed it. The tree consists of 4 pieces, the trunk and the three fronds. Cut them all separately. Use a hot glue gun to stick them together. I did not glue my coconuts to our tree, but you may do so if that’s what you prefer.
- You’re done! We like to read the book along with the letters. The boys enjoy reenacting the scenes, moving the letters up and down the tree, and watching them fall.